Thursday, May 25, 2017


Started work on the fuslage, always enjoyed doing such sections as flat wooden parts become a three dimensional object.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Starting a New Build...

Started building a new kit today, decided to commence with the planes vertical and horizontal stabilizers.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Weathing (again)

With the U-96 reassembled I decided to keep the weathering much simplier. While some of the Tamiya Panel Accent Color remains I did not want to add more so I used a staedtler 0.05mm black marker to add hole markings accorss the hull which I think turned out pretty good.

Monday, May 8, 2017

New Decals

Fortunetly for me the base decals came in English and German. While I preferred the word "U-boot", the word "Submarine" will have to do if I want to correct the weathering error I committed a few days ago.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

A Weathering Disaster...

After spraying a glossy clear cost to seal up the decals it was time to weather the kit. Seeing all the rivets along the hull I figured that this kit would be a great candiate to try out the Tamiya Panel Accent Color. While instructions were vague I looked at several videos online and used some thinner to clean it up with some q-tips but was not getting great results. I decided to buy some Tamiya X-20 Lacquer Thinner and try again the weathing but to my horror I noticed that the paint started to come off as well as the decals in the base! Even the glue started coming off which is wht the conning tower and railings are all detached!

I suspect that the gloss coat got worn off but my several attempts to remove some of the Tamiya Panel Accent Color which led to the paint coming off. I also think that this kit is perhaps too small for the Panel Line Accent Color as there are only a few millimeters between each row of rivets along the hull. I have never scrapped a kit and I don't want to begin today! I guess this is a nice learning experience...