Friday, May 17, 2019

MedStation

For some time I have been contemplating building a scale model "MedStation 4000/ES Station". I work at BD (Becton Dickinson) formerly Pyxis and supported the product for several years before becoming a software engineer. A colleague who was hired on the same day as me (August 2004) is retiring in February 2020 and with the recent purchase of my 3D printer, I decided that this would make an excellent retirement gift.

After speaking with management I got the ok to proceed so I'll be making three of them, one for my colleague, another for myself, and a third one for management.

I will be using a 1.5" TFT screen and using an Arduino mini to display a slideshow of colleagues my friend works with. Since the screen size will determine the scale of the model it came to a nice 1/10th scale which will make converting the measurements very easy to calculate!

As for the drawers which hold the medication, they will open just like the real thing. A standard MedStation has six drawers so I create the following types:

1. Mini Drawer
2. Full Height Cubie Drawer
3. Full Height Matrix with Return Bin
4. Full Height Matrix
5. Bin Drawer
6. Carousel Drawer

There will also be a red light where a nurse would place her finger (BioID) to scan to grant access.

With a 15 year relationship with the product, it should prove to be a very fun a rewarding project!

No comments: