Sunday, March 29, 2015

Happy Birthday Terry!

Here is the resting place for Terry's plane. Will be one of the first things he sees when he wakes up in the morning and the last when going to bed. Hope it sparks his imagination, make him day dream or just enjoy his plane.

Happy Birthday Terry, love dad.

Photo Gallery

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Birthday Party

Well today's the party for my second son Terry's 5th birthday and here he is with his new plane! While it was a challenge to build the aircraft in such a short time I am very happy with how it turned out. Total build time calculated was approximately 49 hours and 8 minutes.

Friday, March 27, 2015

Landing Gears

With Terry’s birthday party being held tomorrow (his actual birthday is on the 29th) I installed the last part, the landing gears. The tail wheel actually comes from an old unbuilt Revell AV-8B Harrier kit that was missing parts as the supplied wheel was very simple and not nice.

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Red Nose

With the clear spray paint and mask removed I installed the red nose cone and I have to admit I find this kit very stunning.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Sharks Mouth

Finished painting the propeller which required seven coats of yellow paint. Also painted the inside of the mouth as I have seen several reference photos with this paint scheme that I prefer, make the aircraft appear to be even more menacing.

Also regretted removing the Tamiya masking tape which I suspected would happen as I had to re-mask the cockpit window in preparation of spraying painting the aircraft with a clear to seal the decals to the model.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015


Finished adding the decals to the aircraft which went well. I find this step fun and enjoy how it adds so much more details very quickly. The mouth piece was very challenging and took twenty some minutes to position properly but it is also my favorite element giving the kit a lot of character.

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Positioning the Guns

With the machine guns painted with Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black, I super glued them into the wings.

I also glued the motor exhaust pipes into place.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Making the Guns

With some very small brass tubing I used a razor blade to cut six 1/2 inch pieces to make the machine guns. Using a razor blade avoids crushing the pipe. Also drilled six holes into the wings with a Dremel drill.

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Olive Green

Yesterday evening I applied several coats of olive green and am very pleased with the results. While there was a little paint bleeding due to the 3M scotch tape I used it was minimal and will be able to easily correct with some white paint.

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Tamiya Tape

Last night I re-spray painted the underside of the plane with white paint. Tonight I spent an hour masking it in preparation of the olive green paint. I use glad cling rap with tape around the edges. Unfortunately I ran out of the Tamiya masking tape and had to resort to using 3M scotch tape as I feel I cannot afford to delay masking the plane till tomorrow. While the 3M scotch tape may cause a bit of paint bleeding it is probably the best alternative to standard scotch tape that I have on hand. I also found out that buying the tape on eBay from Hong Kong costs about $6 where as locally it costs over almost $12, the tradeoff is that it takes about 3-4 weeks to get the item in the mail.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015


Found that the white spray paint cracked so in an attempt to fix it and also prevent further cracking I decided to spray paint the whole aircraft with white primer. This is something I should start doing more often with scale models as it makes everything uniform between the tissue, white glue, super glue, wood and plastic materials.

Friday, March 6, 2015


Spent a good thirty minutes sanding a square block of wood to make the antenna. Small details is what turns an average kit into a great one.

Thursday, March 5, 2015


Spray painted the wheels with Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black last night in the garage. Using a toothpick to manipulate the parts while painting, I take an old egg carton to hold the parts while they dry