Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Weathing (again)

With the U-96 reassembled I decided to keep the weathering much simplier. While some of the Tamiya Panel Accent Color remains I did not want to add more so I used a staedtler 0.05mm black marker to add hole markings accorss the hull which I think turned out pretty good.

Monday, May 8, 2017

New Decals

Fortunetly for me the base decals came in English and German. While I preferred the word "U-boot", the word "Submarine" will have to do if I want to correct the weathering error I committed a few days ago.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

A Weathering Disaster...

After spraying a glossy clear cost to seal up the decals it was time to weather the kit. Seeing all the rivets along the hull I figured that this kit would be a great candiate to try out the Tamiya Panel Accent Color. While instructions were vague I looked at several videos online and used some thinner to clean it up with some q-tips but was not getting great results. I decided to buy some Tamiya X-20 Lacquer Thinner and try again the weathing but to my horror I noticed that the paint started to come off as well as the decals in the base! Even the glue started coming off which is wht the conning tower and railings are all detached!

I suspect that the gloss coat got worn off but my several attempts to remove some of the Tamiya Panel Accent Color which led to the paint coming off. I also think that this kit is perhaps too small for the Panel Line Accent Color as there are only a few millimeters between each row of rivets along the hull. I have never scrapped a kit and I don't want to begin today! I guess this is a nice learning experience...

Saturday, April 29, 2017


Added the decals to the vessel... I really like how the base sticks out, chose the German writing. I was hesitant about the U-96 blue swordfish logo as I found it to be the wrong color but after verifying several reference photos it appears to have changed color through various deployments so I decided to leave it as is.

Friday, April 28, 2017

Deck Accessories

Glued the cannons and railings, realling like the net cutter on the bow. Painted the top of the cannons a dark grey using a toothpick.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Conning Tower

Finished detailing the conning tower... I liked adding a touch of bright orange for the life preserver, nice extra detail.

Saturday, April 22, 2017


With the deck painted I proceeded to install the horizontal and vertical rudders. The small scale of this kit is proving to be very challenged when I try to glue small parts together...


Friday, April 21, 2017

Painting the Deck (again)

After debating about deck color last weekend I decided to re-mask and paint again the deck of the u-boat. This time the grey is much more closer to the tone of the rest of the hull, just slightly darker than the upper hull.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Painting the Deck

Painted the deck of the U-96 a slightly darker grey using Tamiya XF-75 IIJN Gray today but I am not sure it fits well with the other colors. Even though I plan to spray a transparent flat coat when the kit is complete I am debating changing the color...

Saturday, April 15, 2017


Painted the two propellers Tamiya XF-28 Dark Copper. Installed them with tweezers this morning with my 4 year old son Andy watching closely.

Friday, April 14, 2017

Painting the Lower Hull

Finished applying three coats of Tamiya XF-63 German Grey. While I feel the color is a bit dark compared to the box art, when looking at reference photos it appears to be spot on.

I've also installed the hull on the base that I painted Tamiya XF-85 Rubber Black but did not dilute with thinner and am starting to regret it as the brush strokes are evident. I have a spray can of flat black and I am tempted to spray it...

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Painting the Upper Hull

I decided not to spray paint the kit as I find it too small so I am trying a new technique which I saw you YouTube where the paint is diluted with thinner to the consistency of milk. I applied four coats to get the upper hull properly covered with Tamiya XF-53 Neutral Grey. Using this diluted paint technique with a wide brush appears to give a paint finish that does not show brush strokes.

Friday, April 7, 2017

Hull Assembly

With the two halves of the hull glued together last night I glued the deck to the hull as well as the bow diving planes and the drive shafts in the stern.

Thursday, April 6, 2017


As usual I sign and date the kit I am building but this is the first time that I do this as my first step in the build process. Due to the size of the kit, the smallest model I have built to date I didn't have much of a choice...

Thursday, March 9, 2017

Guillow's Balsa F4U-4 Corsair Unboxing

Unboxing video of Guillow's Balsa F4U-4 Corsair in 1/16th scale. Will be starting construction soon  of this large kit for my youngest son Andy's 5th birthday present (Jan 2018).

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Gloss Coat

Spray painted in my garage the motorcycle with two coats of Testers gloss clear coat to prepare the model for weathering.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Tamiya's Royal Navy Sea Harrier FRS.1 Unboxing

This is an unboxing of Tamiya's 1/48 scale Hawker Royal Navy Sear Harrier FRS.1 that I did on March 22nd 2016 but only recently finished the video and uploaded to YouTube.

Friday, January 6, 2017

Revell SnapTite Star Wars First Order Special Forces Tie Fighter Unboxing

A little video about the unboxing of Revell's SnapTitle Star Wars First Order Special Forces Tie Fighter. A kit I built with my 6 1/2 year old son Terry and a second one with my 10 1/2 year son Casey during the Christmas holidays.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Dragon Deutsche Afrika Korps '39-'45 Series Unboxing

Here is a video of an unboxing of Dragon's "Deutsche Afrika Korps '39-'45 Series" in 1:35 scale. It will be used in a diorama I am working on with Tamiya's 1:35 scale BMW R75 motorcycle with sidecar.